Bhairab Ganguly College
NAAC Grade 'A'
- Affiliated to
W.B. State Univ.
- AISHE Code
Under Graduate Department
Department of Geography
About the Department
- General Course introduced in 1980
- Honours Course introduced in 1984
- Postgraduate Course introduced in 2009
- Intake capacity in Honours Course is 58
- Intake capacity in Postgraduate course is 30
- Dr. Ajit Kumar Sil, M.A., Ph.D., Associate Professor
- Sri Kalyan Banerjee, M.A., Graduate Lab. Instructor
- Smt. Madhumita Mandal, M.A.,Assistant Professor;[In-charge]
- Smt. Monisha Hembram, M.Sc.,Assistant Professor
- Sri Bikash Ghosh, M.Sc.,Assistant Professor
- Smt. Shubhanita Dasgupta Chakraborty, M.Sc., SACT-I
- Ms. Priyanka Dasgupta,M.Sc., SACT-I
- Sri Shrinwantu Raha, SACT-I
- Sri Pradip Mondal, Office Peon [Deputed to Geography Lab.]
- Sri Rabin Hansda, Security Guard [Deputed to Geography PG Section] (College appointed)
- Sri Rabindra Nath Paramanik, Attendant [ Deputed to Enquiry Counter]
- Seminar Library: Both reading room and lending facilities are available in the U.G. and P.G. Seminar Libraries where books on contemporary issues in Geography are available.
- Laboratory Facility: Instruments like Prismatic Compass, Dumpy Level, Theodolite, Abney Level, Clinometer, Altimeter, Water Current meter, Mirror Stereoscope, GPS etc. are available for regular classes as well as for field surveys.
- GIS Laboratory: Two well-furnished GIS Laboratories with more than 20 computers are there in the department.
- Internet Access: The department provides free internet access to students.
- Digital Classroom: All the classrooms of P.G. section are furnished with LCD Projector where teaching with modern ICT facility is provided.
- ICT based teaching Learning
- PPT presentation
- Classroom Lecture
- Special Lecture
- Students Seminar
- Group Discussion
- Open-air class
- Field Tours: Both natural and cultural landscapes are considered as Laboratory for an investigation into the geographical spaces. Several long and short tours are organized in this respect.
- Meteorological Observatory: A Meteorological Observatory has been established and started functioning through collection of meteorological data from 1st March, 2014.
- Wall Magazine: There are two wall magazines in the department – one is in the U.G. section while the other is in the P.G. Section.
- Seminars and Special Lectures: The department occasionally organizes special lectures by eminent teachers and scientists. Recently, it has organized a National Seminar on “Contemporary Research in Geography”.
- Rain Water Harvesting: Rain water harvesting Project ( ‘Megh Kalas’ ) has been initiated in 2016 for watering the college garden and to enhance awareness about water conservation.