Department of English
About the Department
- Introduction of Honours and General Courses in 1968
- Introduction of Postgraduate Coursein 2009
- Intake Capacity in Honours course is 75
- Intake Capacity in Postgraduate course is 75
- Dr. Manisha Sarkar, M.A., M.Phil, Ph.D. Associate Professor
- Mr. Laki Molla, M.A., Assistant Professor,[In-charge]
- Sri Manidip Chakraborty, M.A.,M.Phil., Assistant Professor
- Ms. Janki Singh, M.A.,M.Phil, Assistant Professor
- Sukla Kisku, M.A. Assistant Professor
- Smt. Arpita Roy Chowdhury, M.A., SACT-I
Smt. Shreyashi Ghosh, Job Assistant, PG Section (College appointed)
- Seminar Library: One of the unique features of the department is that it possesses two separate Seminar libraries to cater to the academic requirements of both UG and PG students. Both these libraries can boast of an enriched collection of books covering the entire syllabi. Reputed online journals are preserved and books on Cultural Studies have also been provided to foster interdisciplinary research.
- Internet Access: The department has free internet facility for the students and has set up an e-access zone where the students are able to access online reference materials through N-List.
- Air-conditioned Seminar Room: An air-conditioned Seminar Room with ICT facilities provides the students with an environment conducive to academic pursuits. Students seminars, special lectures and PPT presentations are conducted in the Seminar Room at frequent intervals.
- Classroom Lectures
- Power Point Presentations
- Student –teacher personal contact programmes
- Tutorial Classes
- Special Classes
- Video filming of important Literary Texts
- Special Lectures and Seminars
- Remedial Classes
- Group Discussion
- Literary Quiz
- Wall Magazine: The Wall Magazine of the department named “Harbinger” is published annually. It provides the students with a unique platform to display their analytical bent of mind, literary flair and creativity through thought-provoking articles.
- Monograph: The department has taken the initiative to publish a monograph entitled ‘Revelations’which contains some of the most illuminating term papers written by the PG students of the department.
- Third Theatre Mode (Open-air Theatre): To enliven the classroom teaching, the department occasionally arranges theatrical performance of significant plays which facilitates the comprehension of the socio-cultural background of these texts and enables them to interpret such texts in new perspectives.
- Educational tours: Students of the department are often escorted by the teachers in various educational tours to places of literary interest. Quite recently, the department conducted an educational tour to Chandannagar, a place of rich cultural heritage and historical significance to enlighten the students about the cultural imprints of colonialism.
- Freshers’Welcome and Farewell: The students show great enthusiasm in welcoming new entrants to the Department which usually take place between October and November each year. They also give farewell to the Third Year students. On both occasions cultural functions are arranged by the students of the Department.
Postgraduate Degree in English
Based on the recommendations of NAAC assessment report which suggested the introduction of P.G. course in English, the department with the assistance of the college authority, applied to the West Bengal State University for the P.G. Course. The department has been successfully running P.G. Course in English since the academic session, 2009-2010. The department invites stalwarts and eminent professors of different universities to nurture their literary sensibilities and to give them a greater exposure to the subject.