Department of Zoology
About the Department
- General Course introduced in 1981
- Honours Course introduced in 1998
- Intake capacity in Honours Course is 48
- Dr. Saurav Shome, M.Sc., Ph.D., Assistant Professor
- Dr. Anulipi Aich, M.Sc., Ph.D., Assistant Professor
- Dr. Subharthi Pal, M.Sc., Ph.D, Assistant Professor [In-charge]
- Dr. Triparna Chakraborty, M.Sc.,Ph.D. SACT-I
- Sri Tathagata Bhattacharya, M.Sc., SACT-I
- Sri Sukanta Roy, M.Sc., Laboratory Technician (College Appointed)
- Sri Dilip Bhowmick, Lab Attendant
- Seminar Library:The department has a Seminar Library with a rich collection of textbooks and reference books on various topics of Zoology.
- Laboratory: The department has well equipped Genetics, Biochemistry, Ecology and Histology laboratories with all the required instruments.
- Computer and Internet Facility: The department is equipped with three desktops and one laptop with printer, scanner and internet connectivity (Wi-Fi) .
- Classrooms with ICT Facility:Two classrooms are equipped with overhead LCD projectors as audio-visual teaching aids. The department also has one Document Camera for live demonstration of the specimen dissection procedure during practical classes. PPT presentations are used regularly.
- Zoological Museum:The museum has a rich collection of preserved indigenous as well as exotic animal species collected since the inception of the department.
- Classroom lectures
- Power Point Presentation
- Demonstration in Laboratory
- Field studies in nearby areas
- Educational excursion to places of zoological interest
- Student seminar and group discussion
- Poster preparation
- Project work
Projects in the Campus
- Wall Magazine and Posters:Students post articles on various recent & interesting zoology-related topics in the Wall Magazine “ZooM-in”.
- Reunion-cum-Freshers’ Welcome:One of the most exciting and eagerly anticipated events in the department is the reunion–cum-freshers’ welcome programme where all the students as well as the faculty members actively participate.
- Seminar and Special Lecture Sessions: The department regularly organizes special lectures and seminars as well as students’ seminar to help development of communication & presentation skills. Very recently, Dr. Utpal Sanyal, Retired Senior Assistant DirectorGrade & Ex-Head, of Anticancer Drug Development Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute delivered a Special Lecture on “Fight against cancer and tobacco”.