Department of Political Science
About the Department
The Department of Political Science, Bhairab Ganguly College enjoys an exceptional reputation in both teaching and extra-curricular activities in the discipline. Extremely rich in academic potential, comprising a faculty known widely for their teaching abilities, it ranks easily among the best departments in the College. The Department was established in 1968 with General Course and Honours Course was introduced in 2007.
The growth of the Department has coincided with the progress of the discipline of Political Science from a narrow body of legal and institutional knowledge to more comprehensive social sciences that integrates and interrogates sociological, economic, philosophical and cultural dimensions and thereby better relates to a purposive study of politics keeping especially the Indian reality in focus.
Vision: The vision of the department is to shape the way the Political Science discipline is understood and taught in India in a foundational manner, imbued with a distinctive focus on contributions of the Indian scholarship in understanding our complex and diverse social realities. We are committed to advance education and academic research that fosters possibilities of intellectual and social transformation of our students and prepares them to become citizen leaders committed to values of social & gender justice and public
- 1968: Introduction of General Course
- 2007: Introduction of Honours Course
- Dr. Aftabuddin Ahammad , M.A., B. Ed., M.Phil.,Ph.D., Assistant Professor, [In-Charge ]
- Zakeeyah Shahnaz , M.A.,M. Phil, Assistant Professor
- Smt. Subhasree Bhattacharyya, M.A.,M.Phil, SACT-II
- Smt. Pallavi Das, M.A., SACT-II
- Gautam Karmakar, M.A., SACT -II
- Lecture Method is followed for teaching students. Seminars are also conducted for enhancing awareness of the students.
Departmental Library: The department has a well-stocked library which caters to the needs of the students with textbooks and reference books.
Dr Arundhati Bhattacharyya has completed one UGC-Minor Research Project and submitted ICSSR-Major Research Project.
Educational tour was organized for 1st Year Honours Students to the residence of Swami Vivekananda.
- Seminars and special classes are organized on a regular basis.
- Educational tours to the residence of Swami Vivekananda and to the Indian Museum were held recently.
- The department also organizes educational tours (excursions) every year.
- This year at the “Youth Parliament Competition 2022-23” , the students actively participated and won the Best Female Parliamentarian, Best Opposition Leader and Best Speaker Awards.
- Students also participated in the Quiz Competition and stood first at University Level and stood second at the Division Level (2019).
Future Plans of the Department
- Implementing a merit-based Departmental scholarship / financial aid program to support students from economically weaker backgrounds.
- Introducing Post-Graduation section to elevate our Political Science department’s academic profile and provide students with advanced and specialized knowledge in the subject.
- Introducing specialized workshops to bridge skill gaps and boost employability..
- Introducing a dedicated exclusive departmental placement cell for enhanced career opportunities.
- Upgrade infrastructural facilities to create a modernized academic and professional environment which includes but are not limited to setting up of a modern separate seminar hall as well as establishing a comprehensive career counseling section for personalized guidance.
- Hosting regular networking events, workshops, and Guest lectures featuring eminent academicians and accomplished Alumni to inspire and guide our students.
- Establish strategic partnerships with renowned Political Science Departments in Universities across India to foster academic exchange, sharing resources, and collaborating on research initiatives.
- Introducing E – Library with digital library resources with an extensive collection of e-books, journals, and research papers, ensuring our students have easy access to a wealth of information to enhance their academic pursuits.