Central Library of the Bhairab Ganguly College, Kolkata (BGC), is the nerve centre for all academic activities of the Institute. It is located at first floor of the Central Building, spreading over 3,700 sq feet. The library is partly air-conditioned and equipped with modern IT application. There are separate reading room for faculty and students. The sitting capacity of the reading room of the library is for 60 readers. Local Area Network (LAN) connection exists in the library including wireless and WiFi network throughout the library premises. Users are able to connect the library computers as well as their own devices through the library network.
The library security surveillance system is equipped with modern CCTV cameras. The Library is computerized with KOHA library management software. OPAC facilities are available through the campus network. It is automated and is one of the most modern technical libraries under West Bengal State University.
- Sri Mintu Halder, M.Com., B.Ed., M.L.I.S., M.Phil, View Profile
Smt. Sujata Mandal, Library Attendant
Sri Sujit Biswas , Library Assistant (College Appointed)
Smt. Rupa Nandi, Office Assistant (College Appointed)
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To select, acquire, organize and utilize reading materials for the purpose of information dissemination, relevant to the aims and objectives of the Institute.
- To provide services to users for effective utilization of library
- To encourage reading habits particularly of the student community and to make them aware of the importance of Library in career
- To provide computer based information
The library remains open from Monday to Friday: 10.15 a.m. to 5 p.m. & Saturday: 10.15 a.m. to 2 p.m. for reading & lending purpose.
The library has a rich collection of national /international books and journals in the field of Commerce, Arts & Science on different subjects including reference books. The subjects include ASPM, Bengali, Botany, Chemistry, Commerce, Computer Science, Economics, Education, Electronics, English, Environment, Geography, Hindi, History, Journalism, Mathematics, Philosophy, Physical Education,Physics, Physiology, Political Science, Sanskrit, Urdu & Zoology. Total collections including text books & reference books are more than 31 thousand up to financial year 2020-21.
The Library subscribe a good number of print journals, magazines and newspapers which include Yojana (Bengali & English versions), Economic & Political Weekly, India Today, Peshaprobesh, Desh, Achievers, Karmakshetra, Karmasangsthan, Employment News, Anandabazar Patrika, Times of India, etc.
TIMINGS & RULES OF THE CENTRAL LIBRARY
The Librarian and Staff of the Central Library maintain a wide collection of books for all streams (Science, Commerce, Social Science and Humanities) and cater to the needs of students from UG and PG sections of the College. To ensure the smooth functioning of the Library certain rules should be borne in mind by the students.
Rules relating to issue of Library Card:-
Library cards are issued to the students from the Central Library on producing their money-receipts.
A Student is provided with 2 Library Cards:
- Lending card—books can be borrowed for home issue against this card
- Reference Library Card—against this card, books can be read in the library but not taken home
Loss of a card must immediately be reported to the Librarian, who will issue a duplicate card after charging Rs.5.00 as fine.
- Library Card is not transferable.
Rules for maintaining discipline:
- Students are directed to maintain silence in the Library to ensure an orderly atmosphere.
- Students are encouraged to use the Student’s reading room to browse books and do reference work.
- For reference, students may ask the Library Staff for previous year question papers of their subjects (if applicable).
- Students should seek the permission of the Staff before entering the computer room inside the Library.
- Students are strictly directed not to use their mobile phones in the Library.
- Students are advised to handle the books with care so that the next user may not have to use a defaced book.
Rules for Lending of books:-
- At a time, two books are issued to an Honours student and one book to a student pursuing general course.
- Requisition slip for lending purpose is issued between 10.15 A.M to 1.30P.M.
- Library books are issued to the students after 2.00 P.M. on the same day, against the library card. Students should maintain the proper timings of submitting requisition slip and borrowing books for the smooth functioning of the Library.
- A student must return a book within 15 days from the day of receiving the same.
- A book may be reissued for 15 days again provided no others student has placed requisition for that same title in the meantime.
- Fine for not returning the book to the library on due date: (a)For the first 15 days @50 paisa per day per book. (b)After 15 days @ Re. 1.00 per day per book.
- If a book is lost, damaged or defaced, the borrower is liable to replace it.
Rules for Reference Library:-
Reference Library Books, Journals, University syllabus and question papers are issued against the reference card. Reference book and others cannot be taken out from the Library, they can only be read by the borrower in the Library Reading Room.
Reference section can be accessed from 10.30 A.M.to 4.00 P.M (Monday-Friday) & from 10.30A.M. to 1.00P.M (Saturday)