Admission is usually made to 1st Year Degree Class in all the streams of Arts, Science, Commerce and Major courses. Students in other classes may also be admitted on transfer from any sister institution on the basis of merit, availability of seats and fulfilment of other conditions. At the time of admission an application must furnish the following :
- Mark sheet of the previous qualifying examination and Admit card of the Madhyamik Examination in original;
- Transfer certificate in case of students coming from other colleges or institutions;
- Registration receipts for students who are already registered under the West Bengal State University;
- The students from other Universities, Boards or Councils may be admitted provisionally. The admission will be registered properly after the production of migration certificate. The provisional admission is liable to be cancelled if migration certificate is not produced within a month from the date of admission. Students coming from other Universities/ Boards for admission in degree courses will have to produce “Eligibility Certificate” from West Bengal State University before applying for admission. The certificate is issued by Equivalence Section, West Bengal State University.
- One copy of stamp sized coloured photograph must be attached with the admission form.
Other Rules Regarding Admission
Candidates seeking admission are required to apply to the Principal in prescribed forms with attested copies of necessary documents. The originals are to be kept ready for verification. The College reserves the right to refuse admission to a candidate without specifying any reason. Once admitted, a student remains on the roll of the College, subject to his or her satisfactory progress, good behaviour, regularity in attendance and regular payment of fees. A student who passed in XII class with at least four subjects can apply for admission. Marks obtained in top four subjects shall be considered to ascertain the aggregate marks of a candidate passing the examination in the grade system and also in the based system on marks (unless specified otherwise). Applicants and guardians are requested to read the admission criteria carefully in the notice given for different subjects or streams before purchasing forms. Forms are liable to be cancelled if it is not filled up according to norms. Applicants are requested to read the instructions in the prospectus before submission of forms. Fees once paid will not be returned. Applicants who have downloaded the form from the website of the college should pay the required price at the time of submission. Downloading an admission form and filling it up through internet does not guarantee admission.
Percentage of Attendance
As per rules, a student must attend 75% of lectures delivered to be allowed to appear as a regular candidate at the West Bengal State University Examination. A student who has attended less than75% classes but not less than 60% of the lectures delivered may be sent up as a non-collegiate student on payment of non- collegiate fee/ condonation fee. A student who has attended less than 60% of lectures delivered is considered to be a discollegiate student and his or her right to appear at the W.B.S.U. Examination will be forfeited. Strict records of Students’ attendance are maintained in the College and relaxation regarding the percentage of attendance will not be allowed. Attendance in practical classes will also follow the same norm as noted above.
Change of Stream, Subjects etc.
Candidates are advised to be very careful in selecting streams, subjects etc. before admission. Prayer for the change of neither the stream nor the subject combination is permitted once admission is taken. The onus of wrong choice of combination, not permitted by the University, shall lie entirely upon the applicant.
Break of Study
Candidates with one year break in study are generally allowed for admission in this college.
The College holds Term Test in Honours / General Subjects. Other than this examination, the students are advised to sit for class tests as and when conducted by a teacher. The practical examination for the general courses of science stream is taken on the basis of continuous evaluation in the practical classes. The percentage of presence of the students is also allotted considerable share on the total marks. Hence, long absence may result in loss of marks.
Absence in anyone of the above examinations or tests will be considered a break of academic discipline of College and is to be seriously dealt with unless an exemption has been previously applied for and granted.
Students will be allowed to appear for University examination according to the rules of the University. Besides a student will have to produce the following documents at the time of filling up of examination forms:
- Laboratory clearance certificate if he/she is a student of a lab-based subject;
- Library clearance certificate;
- Fee clearance certificate;