Department of Botany
About the Department
- General Course introduced in 1980
- Honours Course introduced in 1988
- Intake capacity in Undergraduate (Honours) Course is 48
- The Department provides quality education in the conventional areas of Plant Sciences
- Dr. Rumdeep Kaur Grewal, M.Sc, Ph.D, Assistant Professor.
- Dr. Pritam Roy, M.Sc.,Ph.D. Assistant Professor [In-charge].
- Dr. Ushri Roy, M.Sc., Ph.D., Associate Professor
- Smt. Senjuti Banerjee, M.Sc., SACT-II
- Dr.Rupa Sanyal, M.Sc., Ph.D. SACT-I
Sri Shyamapada Bhattacharya (Deputed in the office)
Smt. Pampa Majumder, Laboratory Attendant
Sri. Joy Ghosh, Laboratory Technician (College Appointed)
- Seminar Library: The Department has an enriched Seminar library with a stock of over 200 books covering diverse topics of the syllabus of both Honours and General courses.
- Laboratories: The Department has four well-equipped laboratories for conducting practical classes on Genetics, Biochemistry, Biometry and Plant Workout. A diverse collection of Algae, Fungi, Bryophytes, Pteridophytes, Gymnosperms and Angiosperms are preserved in the laboratories.Other relevant instrumental facilities are adequately provided for the benefit of the students.
- Medicinal Plant Garden: ‘Niramoy Nikunja’, a medicinal plant garden situated in the college campus is the most reputed non-governmental project for pharmacological research. The teachers of the department often use this open-air laboratory as a teaching tool to acquaint the students with rare species of herbs having specific medicinal properties.
- Internet and Wi-Fi: The department is equipped with two desktops and one laptop with printer and internet connectivity.
- Classroom with ICT Facility: One classroom is equipped with overhead LCD projector used as an audio-visual teaching aid.
- Botanical Museum: A wide variety of preserved plant specimens (dry and wet) have been collected and duly preserved in a well-furnished museum.
- Educational Tour/Field Work: Annual excursions (study of floral diversity) in different Phytogeographical regions of India are regularly conducted by the Department for both Honours and General students.
- Classroom lectures
- Demonstration in Laboratory
- Field works in nearby areas
- Educational excursion to places of Botanical interest
- Students’ seminar and group discussion
- Project work
- Wall Magazine: Students submit articles on interesting topics related to the subject in the departmental wall magazine “Theophrastus”.
- Freshers’ Welcome: The students of the Department organize Freshers’ Welcome for the students of the first year.
- Seminar/ Special Lecture: The department regularly organizes special lectures and seminars to enable the students to extend the horizon of their knowledge. Students’ seminar is arranged annually to nurture their academic interest.