Though the Tripura State Council for Science & Technology has number of activities for school students, the activities for students of Higher and Technical Education is meager, though it is felt that they should also be brought under appropriate activities.
In this context, in consultation with Directorate of Higher Education it has been decided to launch a programme to form “Science Forum” in each of the institutes of Higher and Technical Education in Tripura.
Objectives of the Proposed Science Forum:
- To provide an appropriate forum to the students of the Institutes of Higher & Technical Education to exchange their views and thought among themselves on Science, Technology and Environmental issues.
- To provide a forum to the students of Higher & Technical Education to inculcate their inquisitiveness.
- To provide a forum to the students of Higher and Technical Education to interact with eminent scientists and environmentalists.
- To provide a forum to the students of Higher & Technical Education so that through which they can gather information on recent developments / trends in research in the different field of Science & Technology.
- To provide scope to the students of Higher and Technical Education to involve themselves in science & technology related activities.
The organizational structure of Science Forum be as follows-
- President: Principal of the concerned college.
- Coordinator: One Teacher nominated by Principal preferably having Science background.
- Secretary: One Student from the concerned college.
- Joint Secretary: One Student from the concerned college.
- Members: Students from the concerned college.
- Popular lecture / discussions / debate etc. (monthly once).
- Observation of important days (National Science Day, Environment Day, Health Day, Earth Day etc.).
- Preparation of Model / Exhibits for participation in Science Fair.
- Science Drama Performance
- Seminar on specific Science & Technology issues.
- To form Science Forum at college no separate room or building is essential. Related papers may be under custody of Secretary, Science Forum of concerned college.
- There is a proposal in the Council for organizing Tripura Science Congress. If it is launched, the institutes of Higher & Technical Education shall have to host such annual event, for which Science Forum may play appropriate role.
- The Science Teachers of the institutes may take up research projects and if possible, it may also be thought of coordinated research projects in certain fields.
- The above proposed activities are only tentative and guidelines. Concerned Science Forum may think of many other innovative and purposeful programmes.
Science Forum was constituted in the College 2016. The committee comprises of Joint-Conveners and members from among the faculty of the Science Stream. Science Forum plays an active role in developing a scientific outlook among students through a number of programmes and campaigns. The forum encourages and engages the students in science related programmes both within the college and outside. The Forum observes the National Science Day every year on 28th of February and arranges for Seminars and Meet the Scientist programmes, also various in – house lectures, debates, popular talks, poster exhibitions, competitions are organized. Students, not only from Science subjects but also from other background participate and get the message of imbibing scientific values.
Two students from this college also bagged the 3rd prize for presenting their models in 2019, District level Model competition, Govt. of West Bengal.
- Dr. Rumdeep K. Grewal (Jt Convener)
- Dr. Anulipi Aich (Jt Convener)
- Dr. Dr. Gopal Chandra Giri
- Dr. Saurav Shome
- Mr. Shirsendu Sarkar
- Dr. Shubhendu Dhara
- Dr. Samit Majumder
- Smt. Monisha Hembram
Activities in 2019:
National Science Day Seminar
The Science forum of the college organized National Science Day celebration in the form of seminar in the college auditorium on 28th February 2019. Large numbers of students were present in the seminar and the program was by and large successful. Dr. Sanjit K. Das , Vice-Principal, Bhairab Ganguly College, inaugurated the seminar presided over the meeting. At onset Dr Anulupi Aich, Jt Convener, paid a tribute to Sir C.V.Raman. She elaborated on Sir C.V.Raman’s achievements and visions; she also introduced the focal theme of the seminar “Science for people and people for science”. There were three lecture sessions and one demonstration session for AJO () detector by Dr. Samir Kumar Pal.
- Prof. (Dr.) Siddhartha Datta, Former Pro-VC (Academic); Department of Chem. Engg. Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Dr. Kuladip Jana, Scientist, In-Charge Centre for Translational Animal Research, Bose Institute, Kolkata
- Dr. Samir Kumar Pal, Senior Professor, Dept. of Chem. Biol. & Macromol. Sci. S N Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata.
Lecture and Group Discussion
On 15 th February 2019 Science forum of the college organized a science discussion cum lecture to grow interest in science among the students of the college. The programmee was presided over by Dr. Sanjit K. Das, Vice-Principal Bhairab Ganguly College. Dr. Shubendhu Dhara, Department of Chemistry, Bhairab Ganguly College delivered a lecture on “Revolutionary Discoveries in the History of Science”. Students actively participated in the discussion that followed.